Potomac Soccer Association
Player Development Academy
This program is available for boys and girls whose birth years are 2005 - 2008 and gives them a chance to continue their development as well as the opportunity to compete in a premier team environment under the tutelage of the Potomac Soccer Association staff. This program is meant to be a bridge program for players that want professional coaching in an all-inclusive environment that gives them the chance to try the skills that they learn at practice in an environment that gives them the opportunity to play. Training runs for 10 months each year, with practices twice-a-week and weekend games in both the spring and fall. Winter Sessions will be held indoors and teams will be in a team focused environment and may be tiered once players are assessed from the fall season.
TEAMS FORMING NOW!
How do we join the U9-U12 Player Development Academy (PDA)?
Every year, the club will hold tryouts at the end of spring May/June to form new teams, additional players can also join the program throughout the year. This program allows players to play with their friends or to form teams from their school or neighborhood.
To join the PDA:
1) If you don't already have a Blue Sombrero account with Potomac Soccer Association, click HERE to create your account. Please note that the parent should be the account holder and you will then need to add your child as a participant. Once you have completed this you should be able to see the programs that your child is eligible for, select Player Developmental Academy.
2) Contact us and ask for an opportunity to attend the scheduled practices. at 301-519-5090.
3) Attend the practice, and decide if you like it! You will then be able to join the program and pay your fees through the Blue Sombrero system.
What are the commitments?
Practices are twice-a-week Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. One game on Saturday in the fall and spring. Two winter practices or one practice and a game.
Is my child good enough to play travel?
Players at the U9 age group players are like sponges and they learn new skills very quickly. With this in mind, we are very inclusive as we want to provide the best opportunity for the player to develop. The main criteria is basic physical ability, agility, balance, coordination and an enthusiasm to play.
What are the yearly fees and what do they include?
For 2016, $1,750 to $1,550 covers all coaching, club and league fees. These fees are divided over ten months of the year (September/June) players joining mid-season will be pro-rated. Uniform costs are additional approx. $150 which includes away and home uniforms (socks, shorts, and shirts) and 1 practice shirt. There may be additional costs for tournament play.
How do you select the teams, and can my child play on the same team as his friend?
Many players that come to the PDA program come with other players from their recreational teams, school, or neighborhood. IN this program we try to place them in a team together at the beginning of the soccer year, but reserve the right to place players based on skill and abilities in order to provide the best soccer experience. Keep in mind that if you are joining mid-season, it may not be possible to join your friends as teams have already been selected.
The Benefits of Potomac Soccer Association
- Licensed professional coaches (certified by US Soccer governing bodies (NSCAA, USSF)
- Coaching staff overseen by the Technical Director and a Director of Coaching with ongoing reviews and support
- Age appropriate training curriculum established by USSF
- Coaching focus on long-term player development
- Year round training
- Club training environment
- Goalkeeping training
- Parent educational meetings
- Financial aid program
- Free clinics
- International tours U12+
- Community service program (SSL)