Potomac Soccer Association U7/U8 Player Development Academy
The U7/U8 Player Development Academy (PDA) was launched in 2010 to give boys and girls between 6 to 8 years old the opportunity to compete in a premier team environment under the tutelage of the Potomac Soccer Association staff. Training runs for 10 months each year with practices twice-a-week and weekend games in both the fall and the spring.
How do we join the U7/U8 Player Development Academy?
Every year, Potomac Soccer Association will hold tryouts in May/June to form new teams. Players may also join the program at any time throughout the seasonal year.
1) If you don't already have a Blue Sombrero account with Potomac Soccer Association, click HERE to create your account. Please note that the parent should be the account holder and you will then need to add your child as a participant. Once you have completed this you should be able to see the programs that your child is eligible for, select U7/U8 Player Developmental Academy.
2) Contact Coach Steve Hauschild and ask for an opportunity to attend the scheduled practices. Players may join the U7/U8 PDA at any time during the seasonal year.
3) Attend the practice. Once the coach chooses you to participate, you will join the program and pay your fees via Blue Sombrero!
What are the commitments?
Practices are twice-a-week; Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. One game on Saturday in the fall and spring. Practices resume indoors during the winter. We encourage players to attend as many practices and games as possible.
Is my child good enough to play travel?
Players at the U7/U8 age group are like sponges and they learn new skills very quickly. With this in mind, we are very inclusive as we want to provide an opportunity for the player to develop. The main criteria is basic physical ability, agility, balance, coordination and an enthusiasm to play.
What are the yearly fees and what do they include?
The U7/U8 PDA fee is $1,425. This covers all coaching, club and league fees and are divided over ten months of the year (September thru June). Players joining mid-season will pay the monthly rate of $150. Uniform costs are approximately $150 which includes an adidas away and home jersey, shorts, socks and a practice shirt. One indoor winter practice facility cost is also additional and amount is dependent on number of participants.
How do you select the teams, and can my child play on the same team as his or her friend?
Many players who join the U7/U8 PDA come with other players from their recreational team, school, or neighborhood. We try to place them together on a team at the beginning of the soccer year, and it may not be possible to join a friend's team mid-season as teams have already been selected. As they move into U9 and above, they will be selected by ability.
The Benefits of Potomac Soccer Association
- Licensed professional coaches (certified by US Soccer governing bodies (NSCAA,USSF)
- Coaching staff overseen by the Technical Director and a Director of Coaching with ongoing reviews and support
- Age appropriate training curriculum established by the USSF (United States Soccer Federation)
- Coaching focus on long-term player development
- Year-round training
- Club training environment
- Goalkeeping training
- Parent educational meetings
- Free skills clinics
- Financial aid program
- International tours U12+
- Community service program (SSL)